Vegetable and Bean Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
6 cups chicken stock
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 pound kale, chopped
2 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut across in 1/2-inch slices
12 ounces baking potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch dice
1 8-ounce zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut across in 1/2-inch slices
1 8-ounce yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise and cut across in 1/2-inch slices
1 19-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Heat oil in a soup pot over medium high. Add the onion and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes, until softened. Add the broth, tomatoes, greens, carrots, and potato and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are nearly cooked through.
Stir in the zucchini, yellow squash and kidney beans and cook another 5-7 minutes, or until squash is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serves four | Recipe adapted from Saveur.com
4 tsp Chai Spice black tea
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped, seeds and pod reserved
3 cups hot water
3 cups whole milk or unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup honey or agave
½ cup spice-forward bourbon, like Maker’s Mark
Cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger (opt.)
1. Combine the tea leaves and vanilla bean seeds and pod, and any additional spices with 3 cups hot water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and add milk and honey or agave, whisking to combine. Return to a simmer, remove from heat, and allow to steep 10-15 minutes. Strain, pressing down on solids to extract flavors.
2. Transfer the chai to a heat-proof pitcher and stir in bourbon.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed, chopped (around 4 cups)
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 1/4 cups cashew cream (more if needed)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large pot over med heat. Saute onion and garlic for a few mins, until translucent, being careful not to burn.
2. Add kale and a bit of salt and sauté for a few mins, until vibrant green and slightly wilted.
3. Add wine and cook, uncovered, for about 5-7 mins, until liquid is reduced and kale is tender.
4. Add cashew cream and mix well. Cook for 2-3 mins until cream is thickened. Add more if you want creamier kale. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Banana Nut Bread (makes two loaves)
- 1 stick irish butter
- 1 stick whipped butter
- 8 oz mascarpone
- 1/3 cup packed raw washed cane sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups mashed overripe bananas
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup raw honey with honeycombs
- 1/6 cup agave nectar
- 4 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup heavy creme
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 2/3 cups wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups cracked walnuts
Beat butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mascarpone in a standup mixer until very smooth (takes several minutes generally, so give it ample time). While that is beating, peel the bananas and put into a large ziplock baggy. They should be at minimum ripe enough where the stem breaks free just by picking it up. The browner the better typically. Knead the bananas in the bag until fully smushed. Now add the bananas, eggs, honey, agave, and marmalade to the mixer and again beat vigorously until smooth consistency. Next slowly add the creme and flour gently mixing on a low speed. Keep at a low speed from this point on. Finally fold in walnuts to taste. Now take two 5x9 bread pans and lightly grease them. Spoon in batter into pans and smooth out the top. Let sit for 5-10mins while preheating oven to 325º. You want to let it sit for at least 5 minutes minimum. Bake loaves for 45-55min until tops are starting to turn brown. Loosely cover with aluminum foil and bake for another 20-30 min until a knife stuck into the loaves comes out perfectly clean. Let sit for about 10 minutes after removing from oven, then pop the loaves out of the bread pans and allow to cool on a wire rack.
The Best Nutrition for Your Body
Nutrition is an essential element of health. Some practitioners say that every disease is the result of improper dietary habits.
Due to the rapidly increasing health care and the desire to live longer and healthier, a higher percentage of the population is concerned about nutrition and stay healthy. Undoubtedly, nutrition plays a big role here.
Proper nutrition and physical activity can help prevent continuous consumption of drugs or even surgery to correct the results of poor eating habits without exercise. Healthy eating habits (the way we eat) are the foundation of a healthy diet.
We need to bring a healthy diet. The foods we eat contain a lot of toxins that keep our body has a normal operation. So you have to make better choices about your lifestyle and your diet and get results in an enhanced level of wellness.
The pillars of nutrition are known as macronutrients because they represent the largest portion of food after water.
- Protein: Composed of 20 different amino acids. Are obtained through the diet. Is required to consume 30% of the total diet.
- Fats: Requires consume 20% of the total diet.
- Carbohydrates: Requires consume 50% of the total diet.
The world has changed. Life is lived more rapidly. Lack of time makes us eat fast food every time we eat less at home. We live under stress, no time for exercise. I make the following question: why do you have healthy nutrition?
There are many benefits such as:
- The human body needs various nutrients and minerals for proper functioning and the only way is with a healthy diet that includes vitamins and minerals.
- The nutrients help your body develop.
- Nutrients are needed to repair damaged tissues.
- The main benefit is that it keeps your health in good condition.
If your diet lacks the necessary vitamins, your health can suffer.
Nutrition is very important because the lack of necessary nutrients can allow the threat of viruses and diseases which can lead to illness and even death.
It is located in the middle of two extremes: good health and malnutrition. In the middle is a wide range of diseases that can be caused and prevented due to changes in the diet. Malnutrition not only causes problems, but the excesses and imbalances play a role.
Keeping a healthy lifestyle is not only what you eat. It’s a whole package. What you eat, how you sleep, the air you breathe, how much exercise you do, and so on. If you take action and change your lifestyle, you avoid and / or prevent some diseases.
When you buy any food packaged in the supermarket, we must first check the label contains the nutrition facts.
I give some types:
- Check out the serving size.
- Check out the calories: an adult requires 2000 calories a day.
- Avoid sugars.
- • Know your fats: agree foods low in saturated fats, trans-fats and cholesterol.
- • Reduce salt intake.
Do not forget to exercise. It is important to burn calories and helps you lose weight. For people who exercise a lot and likes to train your muscles is good to consume protein supplements. The perfect combination of good nutrition is diet and exercise.
We eat the nutrients our body needs to stay healthy. To ensure that this happens it is best to consume a natural supplement to provide us with needed nutrients and obtain benefits and keep us from allergies, have healthy cholesterol, healthy weight, healthy heart, healthy joints, etc..
Opt for healthy nutrition and stay healthy longer.
Eating healthy can save money!